The first thing we went over on week 2 was smearing. Smearing is pretty much using the wall with your feet when there isn't a hold there. We weren't able to really practice it much but it can be handy at times, especially if you're on a surface that is a little horizontal as it goes vertical.
We then went to working on body movement and shifting our weight such that we have a good foundation. To practice this we climbed the practice bouldering wall with one hand and then tried climbing with no hands. Climbing with no hands is freaky and I must say I'm a wuss when it comes to getting very high on the wall if I don't feel like I am going to stay on the wall.
Next we went over what I think might have been the most useful thing for me in the whole four week series. We talked about flagging and when to use it. You can flag away from you, behind you (crossing over leg) and in front over your other leg. Flagging helps you stay balanced when there is no hold for your foot, it gives you momentum and it increases your reach. As a person with short arms and legs it has made all the difference in reaching things I would not have otherwise been able to reach.
We went over the knee drop to give higher reach. In a knee drop you turn your body in and put your knee down and the other goes upwards, this gives you greater reach as well.
I think this class was probably the most beneficial for me as a climber. This is where I learned that I can use the wall to help me, I can use my arms and legs without holds and I can reach things I never thought I would be able to reach otherwise.
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment