Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I'm Making a Vegetable Garden

I've been working on making my vegetable garden for the last month now.  It's been very slowly going while I weed the area and get it ready for planting.  We haven't really done much with the yard since moving in, between injuries the first year and me just being lazy last year, nothing much has been done.  But this year is going to be different! 

I do believe the main part of my vegetable garden is now ready to plant (once the weather is right that is).  Here is a small picture walk through to see the progress going on out there.  So much more to do, but it certainly does take one day at a time.

This first picture is of the weeds, just so you can see what I'm dealing with, and this was when they were smaller, they are much larger now.


3/23/10: I decided to get started with the work on my yard, it doesn't look like much got done, but I only had about an hour after work and it was just a mess to start with.


3/24/10: Another hour after work devoted to the weeds, still not looking like I'm getting all that much done, but it's a slow process when they start out as bad as they were!  The little tree in the middle of this patch is a bing cherry tree, so far we have been getting a few cherries every year, very yummy they are!


3/31/10: Another hour after work and a few less weeds, why is this such a slow process?


4/10/10:  I managed to anger my leg for the last week I couldn't get much done in the yard for awhile.  It's was still bothering me, but today Richard and my Gene Dad worked on removing the tire!  I'm so excited to have that thing gone!  I wasn't completely useless in the garden, but I wasn't nearly as helpful as I would have liked.  The tire, the rosemary that was in the tire, and the lilac which is right after the larger tree all went to permanently live at Dad's house. 



4/18/10: Richard and I went to Lowes and picked up a raised bed for the garden.  We also got lots and lots of soil.  I proceeded to mix the soil from the store in with the soil where the bed is, talk about exhausting work!  I then added in some steer manure to the top layer.  It's really starting to look like a garden now!  Other then carrots I haven't decided what all I'm putting in the raised bed yet, probably some lettuce and maybe broccoli?  I'm still working on figuring that one out.  I have a couple bean plants started as well and I'm not quite sure where I'm putting those yet either.


4/19/10: It doesn't look like I did much in the picture, but it was really quite a bit of work.  I took dirt out of the raised bed and mixed it in with the dirt on either side (and then put some back in the bed). I mixed everything up so much that I'm going to have to put steer manure in all locations again before I plant.  To the right of the bed (and the tree) I'm going to put my yellow squash, to the left will be the zucchini.  I still need to build a little more of a hill on both sides but I think I might need a little more dirt before I do that.  The little plant in front of the cherry tree is a pretty little purple primrose, hopefully I haven't managed to kill it off moving it so many times.  After doing all this work we realized we needed to get a fence to block Rosco from getting in, he seems to like to run through what I've just done.  The fence we went with has butterflies and it is the same as the one we have out front around the tulips, Rosco leaves those alone with the fence so I'm hoping the same will be true with the veggies.



4/21/10: It had been raining most of the day but the sun came out so I decided to go tackle a little weeding after work.  Now that I have the main beds mostly done I'm working on getting the weeding done along the whole fence.  It doesn't look like much got done, but it really was more then it looks like from the normal angle picture.  I added another looking back from the shed towards the house so you can see the spacing of what I worked on today from another perspective (it looks like nothing from the house).



I have plans to straighten out the edging and put in a new border as soon as I get everything along this fence weeded.  After I do that it will be a straighter line that doesn't look like it's going around a round tire that is no longer there.  Once I have the new edge in I'll straighten out the fence and make it look better, it was just tossed up in the dark after we got home to keep Rosco out.  I'm getting excited about my garden, there is so much more to do out there.  It sure does feels great seeing progress. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks great Amy! You have done a lot from the looks of the first pic to the last one! Having fresh veggies and all those activity points over the days will make it all seem worth it in the long run;) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Amy..
    I will be over soon to see what all you get at the plant sale this Sat. Sorry I can't go with you :(

    ReplyDelete