After finally eating we decided to head down and go on the Maid of the Mist tour, if you only have time to do one tour while in Niagara Falls this would be the one I recommend. The boats take you right up to the base of the falls, the wind and mist is incredibly intense. The sheer power of the falls is mind numbing, purely breathtaking, simply amazing, there just aren't enough words to describe it really, I can only imagine how intense it must have been before they started lowering the amount of water that goes over the falls. Once again I'm at a loss of words, the Falls are certainly something amazing to be seen.
We then headed down river and went on the Whirlpool Aerocar, somewhere along the line of the river carving out the canyon it met a much softer material which carved out a large basin area. When there is more water in the river it creates a constant whirlpool, when the river is lower which was the case when we were there it just slowly spins around the basin (or something like that). There is an Aerocar that goes across the river and you get a beautiful view up and down river from the whirlpool as well as a view straight down on the whirlpool basin. The Aerocar was a nice little trip, nothing compared to the Maid of the Mist earlier, but I do believe it was worth doing. From there we headed back to the hotel, we stopped on the way back at Tim Hortons and I had hot cocoa and a donut. I wish we had these around were we live, they are quite enjoyable little coffee and lunch type places.
Next we headed out to see The Niagara Falls Movie: "Legends and Daredevils" at the IMAX. We got to go over the falls in a barrel, walk a tight rope and the story about Lelawala. I found the Lelawala legend the most fascinating of the whole movie, I've always enjoyed learning about legends of the various tribes native to our lands. The movie was good, though I think it could use a tiny bit of updating someday, it was made in the 80's after all.On the way back from the IMAX movie we stopped at The Keg for dinner, probably one of the more expensive meals I've had in a VERY long time, but it was very good and it seemed like a good choice of places to have an anniversary dinner. I had a very tasty Teriyaki Steak meal that came with a Caesar salad and then I followed dinner up with a creme brulee. Very tasty and a very good end to a very enjoyable day.
After dinner we headed back to the hotel to pack everything up and get some sleep before checking out on Sunday. I decided to attempt to make our 2 checked bags fit in one bag, I managed to get everything to fit and saved us a tiny bit of money. It amazes me that they charge for one checked bag, how do they expect people to go on vacation without needing to check a bag? I mean really?
No comments:
Post a Comment