Sunday, June 21, 2009

The last day in Niagara Falls

For the final day I woke up bright and early, it was the only day I set an alarm and I actually was up before it ever got to go off. I wanted to run down to the Falls to get a couple pictures of the travel bugs I had brought with me with the falls in the background, for some reason I had been forgetting to get the pictures every other time I was down there. We grabbed breakfast at the hotel again and then headed down to the falls for a couple more pictures. After walking back up the hill for the last time we checked out of the hotel.

Next we went to Dufferin Islands, I had been wanting to go and there was a neat sounding multi cache on the islands that I had wanted to do. We went to the islands and wandered off to see what we could find. My tummy wasn't feeling all that well so I wasn't really feeling all that much like caching but we went to the first way point to see what we could find. And what did we find? A frog and that's about it. I did manage to get a couple more bug bites while searching and then I decided that if there were five way points in all and the first one was taking this long that I really didn't want to do this cache, at least not when I had to get to the airport that evening. So we took my travel bug which I needed to place before we left and headed off to find an easier cache that was in the area.

After finding the cache we decided to head towards Niagara-on-the-Lake and see the McFarland House. As I said in one of my previous blogs, I recently read Pride and Prejudice so I found touring a house that would be fairly similar to where the book took place to be pretty fascinating. The house reminded me just how much junk we have nowadays compared to what people had before. Having things like books was a sign of wealth, something that most people didn't have. And to think of being taxed on every closet you have since taxes were done on doors, crazy I tell ya! After touring the house we had tea and strawberry shortcake scones out on the patio, it was quite enjoyable indeed, a very pleasant day and it gave me quite the feeling of being in a different, simpler time.

It was then time to head to the airport and head home. So sad. The border crossing was more of what I had expected each time, there was a line up of cars wanting to get back into the USA. Richard said, "make sure to pick the right lane", and our lane had been moving pretty well until we were about three cars away and then they closed our lane, after a little while they finally had someone come out and direct our lane into the ones on either side, it reminded me of the parting of the sea to watch the cars go back and forth into the lanes next door. We got through the border crossing pretty quick after that and proceeded to the airport to wait around for our plane.

We had another layover in Atlanta, this time it was much shorter, when we were told the gate it turns out we were getting off the plane we were on, to get right back on it when they called for boarding. After getting back on the plane we had just gotten off we had to sit around at the gate for what seemed like forever, one of the landing gauges needed maintenance when we were there and apparently there is quite a bit of paperwork that accompanies fixing anything on a plane. Finally we were in the air and on our way back to Seatac, a little while into the flight I looked out the window and saw lightening in the distance, quite an amazing sight to see! Yet again more awe inspiring views on our trip! Then a few hours later we landed without a problem and drove home. Thankfully I took Monday off so I was able to sleep in and feel rested for the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment