Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Just a crazy traveling day getting to Niagara Falls!

Day one of our vacation has been fairly unproductive when it comes to actually seeing any sites or doing anything, but we've made it to Niagara Falls and that was the major point of it all.

We left at 10pm after enjoying a Qdoba burrito at the Seatac airport and flew to Atlanta, Richard's seat on the plane was broken so he had a horrible plane ride, I'm not sure how someone managed to mangle the seat so badly but they did. We didn't bother telling the flight attendants, what if they wouldn't let him sit in that seat and the plane was full, the last thing we needed was to get stuck in Seatac. After getting to Atlanta we spent a couple hours there waiting for our connecting flight to Buffalo. I slept HORRIBLE on the plane so I felt like a zombie walking around the Atlanta airport. We found the virtual geocache that is located there and I took a nap, thankfully Richard didn't nap because I would have slept through boarding the plane to Buffalo if he hadn't woke me up. It was on to Buffalo from there where I slept on and off on the plane. Picked up our Rental car from Avis, I decided to upgrade from economy sized to midsize and got a Dodge Caliber, it's only $5 more a day, why not? I like the Calaber, but I hit my knee on the steering wheel every time I get in or out of the car. I am so going to have a bruise.

From the airport we headed for Niagara Falls, we crossed the Peace Bridge into Canada (which was far easier then I figured it would be with all the "added" security). I missed the first turn and I decided just to take the next one and head towards the river and hope we found the road I wanted to go on, thankfully we found the Niagara falls parkway (the scenic route) fairly easily and we drove along there. There are some AMAZING houses along the drive and the river is beautiful as well. I stopped to try to find a cache located by the Chippawa Battlefield of 1812, I didn't find the cache but I did enjoy the area and getting out and about after being in airports and planes for so long was good too. It would have been even more enjoyable if I wasn't completely exhausted from our travels here.

Once we got into Niagara Falls we drove along the road that is right next to the falls, I got my first glimpse of the falls (mostly the American Falls as they are easier to see from the road then the Horseshoe, especially while driving), they are amazing indeed! I can't wait to go back and actually experience the falls tomorrow! We went to check into the hotel and the room wasn't quite ready so we ate at the overpriced Denny's next door while trying to keep ourselves awake long enough to check in. We checked into the room, I took a shower to get the pollen off me from foraging in the trees while looking for the cache earlier and then collapsed into bed. I then proceeded to sleep away the rest of the day and I now find myself awake at 11pm eastern time, wondering what to do with myself since I can't sleep anymore right now.

Richard hasn't been feeling all that well for a couple days now, I am praying with some sleep he will be ready to enjoy our vacation tomorrow.

So that's day one of our vacation in a nutshell! I can't wait to see more of the falls tomorrow!

(I'll be adding photos when I get home, it is just too much work to do on the laptop).

1 comment:

  1. Isn't traveling fun Amy;) It's quite a long trip across to there too. Sounds like it's all working out though and after everyone gets rested up it will go a lot better tomorrow. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete