Saturday, May 8, 2010

w00tstock 2.0!


What is w00tstock you ask? Well, THEY said it was 3 hours of geeks + music (but apparently geeks can't count because it was really 4 hours of geeks + music), or maybe they thought an hour of it wasn't all that geeky?  I think they are delusional if that's the case. The show featured Wil Wheaton, Adam Savage and Paul and Storm (and a bunch of special guest preformers).  OH! And ceiling cat, you can't forget ceiling cat.


Special Guests (these are the descriptions from Paul and Storms website with info for w00tstock):
- Lone Shark Games‘ James Ernest and Mike Selinker
- Presidents of the United States of America drummer and bearded human Jason Finn
- Internet guy and Nerd Songster Hank Green.
- singer/songwriter/professional adorable person Molly Lewis
- sketch comedy funny-video-making people LoadingReadyRun
- nerdcore pioneer MC Frontalot
- Microsoft guy and Xbox Live banhammer Stephen “Stepto” Toulouse


To start the night off we had Wil Wheaton come out and introduce the show.  I've never been much of a star trek fan so I don't know him from that but I do know who he is thank you very much.  He was in the last season of the Guild after all and the Guild is pretty awesome.


Following the introduction Paul and Storm came out and sung their "We are the opening band" song, I do believe that is their most known song (at least it's the one I knew).  They are amusing, certainly not my normal music listening but good for what they do.  Jason Finn joined them for most of their songs, he's the drummer from the United States of America, peaches anyone?


Then Paul and Storm introduced Wil Wheaton again so he could introduce LoadingReadyRun.  As he said, it's not everyday you get an introduction to give an introduction, oh they really are a bunch of geeks aren't they.

There was a thing with LoadingReadyRun who were quite amusing.  They do sketch comedy and make funny videos that you can find on youtube, I haven't looked them up yet but I do intend to see what they are all about.



After that Molly Lewis came up and sung a few songs.  I have a video of her singing her newest not finished but sung anyway song about having Steven Fry's child, but it was done on my camera and is seriously horrible so you just get pictures.  Seriously I can see her point about wanting to carry his child, it's sad his DNA will not go on, he really is brilliant.  The second picture is from the School House Rock song Conjunction Junction, it was pretty awesome.



Let's see, there was also a couple guys from Lone Shark Games (James Ernest and Mike Selinker), they did some video puzzle thing and then one of the guys had a spinning plate on a pole on a spinning lunch tray which was a bit impressive.  That was all fine and dandy but not particularly exciting to me.


Wil Wheaton seems like someone that would be a fun guy to hang out with, he's just so cool in a geeky kind of way, I think I may just have to read his book.  He read a passage out of it about the Rocky Horror Picture Show, I've never gone and seen it but was always interested.  I guess I just didn't have someone to drag me along with them when I was younger, otherwise I'm certain I would have gone.


MC Frontalot sung a few songs, he's nerdcore, Richard listens to nerdcore music quite often.  He's pretty good, the sound quality was horrible on his songs though, quite sad since he was singing new songs that we hadn't heard before.  Richard looked them up online when he got home and put them on a CD for us to listen to while driving to his parents house the next day, very funny stuff.


Hank Green, a youtube nerd guy played a few songs, his songs were amusing but he wasn't all that exciting to me, maybe if I watched more youtube I would understand.  I thought the writing on his guitar was pretty funny though.


In between all this there were musical interludes, video breaks and Wil Wheaton talking or doing general silly stuff will Paul and Storm. 




Stephen "Stepto" Toulouse from Microsoft he did a bit on the jerks that play Xbox Live and the blocking of the stupid people that do that stuff.  Very amusing.


Adam Savage told some stories, show us pictures of an upcoming episode of Mythbusters and wasn't allowed to blow anything up.  So sad.  But he was amusing, I  got the feeling that he didn't really want to be there.  I'm not sure if that is just his personality or if he really was bored with it all.



Paul and Storm were last, they did a few songs and then Wil Wheaton and Adam Savage joined them on stage for the last song which lasted something like fifteen minutes but it was fun... Argh!


So that's w00tstock in a nutshell, I'm just tossing in a picture of The Moore theaters ceiling to the end of this blog because it's just gorgeous.  Yep, I had fun, laughed alot and realized I really am a geek, but not a really really big one. Oh! And I love the lighter app that they have for the iphone (and ipad), I will stick with my boring phone that doesn't do much, I don't need anything that fancy as I rarely use it for anything other then an alarm clock and time teller, but the lighter app is pretty spiffy.


And last but not least here is the link to Wil Wheaton's write up on w00tstock 2.0 (and 2.1) 

http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbackup/2010/05/making-a-note-here-huge-w00tstock-success.html

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a good time at Wootstock! I do know who Will Weaton is, but that was about it;) The ceiling was beautiful. Have a great day Amy!

    ReplyDelete