Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Chehalis "camping" with the Hoppers.


Every summer for the last few years we have spent most of a week near Tillamook on the Oregon Coast camping with the Hoppers. This year with the addition of a little Hopper named Dereck we decided against putting up tents in July and waiting until September when he would be slightly older to take a trip. We also traded in our usual tents and rented a Garden Trailer at the Thousand Trails in Chehalis (garden trailers are more or less a single wide home in a woodsy setting). We arrived slightly early for trailer check in time and brought Rosco to the dog park, he enjoyed stretching his legs while I sat and a book. Eventually the Hoppers arrived: Asia and Rosco ran around, Richard and Adam partook in a professional came of catch and Valerie and I sat visiting. The weather was beautiful, what a perfect early autumn day!

On day two we decided to do some fishing at the Paradise preserve; or at least we attempted to fish. Adam and I got our fishing permits and sat with our fishing poles all day, but no fish were to be caught. We did get to watch the little kids catch some fish. *sigh* A stocked pond and we couldn't catch a fish, we didn't even get junk fish to throw back in. Valerie and Dereck did a little fishing for Adam while he packed up the shade tent, aren't they cute?

Day three brought slightly less wonderful weather but it was still clear for the most part. We decided to go take the steam train in Chehalis, I quite enjoyed myself feeling the sway of the train and listening to the steam whistle. The Hoppers were in the car attempting to calm Dereck down. Note to self: steam whistles and babies don't mix. After the train turned around, Dereck calmed down a bit and they came out and visited. I imagine that Dereck will love the train ride in a few years. On the way back we noticed that there was a guy standing out on the front of the train with a machete cutting down the tree branches, talk about a crazy job. That night we played some Phase 10, made smores in the oven and read some in our books.

The last day of the trip while heading back from the shower I encountered some deer maybe ten feet away from me. Anyone who has heard about my elk experience about four years ago knows I have a bit of an issue with hoofed creatures. Initially I jumped and then I reminded myself that they were not out to get me. I returned to the trailer, grabbed my camera and we back out to follow them around and try to get a decent picture. That's right, I actually attempted to get closer to them not run away. I'm pretty proud of myself on that one. I'm working on my phobias, trying to rationalize things in my brain, there is no reason I should have irrational fears for the rest of my life.

All in all it was a very relaxing, laid back kind of trip. Having the garden home was great for cooking and relaxing and not worrying too much about the elements. Though next year I'm hoping to see the ocean, we didn't make it out there at all this summer and I really did miss the peace that only the ocean waves can bring.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to enjoy nature with good friends! Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete