Saturday, April 18, 2009

Going back was something I needed

Last weekend when we went to church there was a songs we were singing that said, "I know I need something greater then me now". As I sung along with the song, I started to tear up and eventually had a tear or two running down my face, I don't think anyone noticed. But it really touched me and made me realize just how much I needed to be there worshiping the lord. I really do need the Lord in my life, something greater then me to help me through it all.

When it comes to getting into heaven... How Good is Good Enough? EastLake hands out a free gift to first time visitors, the gift is a book called, How Good is Good Enough? I sat down and read the whole thing after we got home last week, it's only 92 pages so it didn't take too long to read. The book goes over how various religions and beliefs consider how good someone is to determine whether they will go to heaven or not. Everyone always says that they hope they will make it into heaven and they hope they have been good enough to make it there. So very true... even as a Christian I have always said I hope I will go to heaven. I don't think my hope is quite the same though, I think my saying "I hope" is more of a tiny bit of doubt that there really is a heaven, what if all that we believe as Christians isn't quite right? I think as a person on the earth that is so overwhelmed with sin I have a hard time imagining that a wonderful place that is completely free of sin can really exist and I have difficulty understanding how it can work. I can't help that I have a scientific mind that needs a bit of proof for things, but something inside of me puts that aside and puts faith in the Lord. And that part of me believes that the heaven he promised is real, even if the scientific part of me doubts the logistics of it. One of the free materials that I requested to have sent to me was "Do science and faith clash?". I listened to this and Ryan said that people that believe in evolution have to have faith in evolution since there are no records documenting the stepping stones between species, I see his point completely.

True[ish] is the current series at church, part one was last week, the message was "Does God Make a Difference in the Storm?" What kind of question is that? Of course he does! It turns out it was more a reminder of how he makes a difference then a question as to whether or not he does. From the service last week: God makes a difference in the storm when I... Hear him in creation and conscience; Accept his Grace; Invest my life in him; and Trust his promises. The last of these is probably the hardest for me, Trust. I think I have a problem trusting and letting people into my life. I have a tendency to close myself off from the world and hide in my own little world. This is something I have to work on. Trusting his promises and letting go of my fear.

Other then my finding my way back to Christ not too much else of excitement is going on in my life. I'm doing physical therapy for my shoulder which is going pretty well. I'm happy that I can move it around most of the time without too much pain. It is still pretty weak so there is a ways to go before it's back to normal, but it's certainly getting better. I've also been going for walks recently, Rosco enjoys it, though I think he could walk forever. I also went for a couple walks with Phoebe, the work she puts into Young Life for high school students is inspiring and I've enjoyed catching up with her. That's about it for the what's going on with me update.

No comments:

Post a Comment